Nasrul Hamid (born 13 November 1964) is a Bangladeshi politician. He became the Member of Parliament for Dhaka-3 in 2008, being re-elected in 2014 and 2018, and serves as state minister of the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources.
Mr. Hamid has been selected as the State Minister to the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources for the second time in the year of 2019 and he has joined on January 7, 2019.
His addition to the Ministry brought robustness, which was in line with the vision 2021. As a State Minister, he envisioned and expedited a plethora of organizational and technical changes.
Some of the highlights during his tenure are:
- Power output of Bangladesh increases from 10289 MW to 21419 MW
- Worked to implement ERP in the Power divisions
- Gas Production Increased from 2300 MMCFD to 3200 MMCFD
- Massive restructuring in the transmission lines having plan to extend power transmission lines by 36,870 kms by 2041
- Increase in customer focus in distribution companies. Implementation of SCADA system, Underground cable and Increased load on substations
- Distribution and use of 5.5 million solar home system, which is the largest off-grid power solution in the world
- Implementation of 3 FSRU and small regasification units to alleviate the countries gas crisis
- Focus on human resources development for the future through a string of development agencies. Most notable are: Bangladesh petroleum Institute, Bangladesh Power Institute, Energy and Power research council and Bangladesh Power Management Institute
- Involving the youth by creating an internship program led by a ministry; a first in Bangladesh
- Increasing the capacity of Bangladesh’s Power and Energy companies to enter into the financial markets.
- Increasing the prospect of Bangladesh in the international alternative finance markets, notably the bond market.
Mr. Nasrul Hamid was born in 13 November 1964. His father Late Prof. Mr. Hamidur Rahman was a prominent figure in the liberation war, and his mother Late Hasna Hamid was actively engaged into politics. Prof. Mr. Hamidur Rahman was a founding member of the Bangladesh Awami League and was later appointed as the Treasurer of the Awami League. He was elected as a member of the Parliament in 1970.
Mr. Hamid completed his S.S.C from the Residential Model School in 1980, and his H.S.C from the Residential Model College, Dhaka, Bangladesh in 1982. He was very much active in sports, being the team captain of his college’s football and hockey team. His penchant for art bought him the prestigious Shankar's Award. He was a stellar student, involved in debating, painting and sports. He was also the student monitor of college. In that very young age, he received the Principal's All Rounder Shield for his outstanding achievements. Mr. Nasrul Hamid has completed his bachelor degree under the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Besides the academic studies, he is very fond of architecture, design, and arts.
Nasrul Hamid’s first foray into business came with the death of his father, when he took up the charge of Managing Director of his father’s company Greenways Corporation Limited. He worked primarily with Agro-business and Cold Storage. Later, Mr. Hamid started his own venture called Priyoprangon, a property development and real-estate firm, which went on to become very successful. He was one of the founding members Real Estate and Housing Association of Bangladesh or REHAB. He later went on to become the President of REHAB from 3.05.2010 to 11.01.2014.
He took primary membership of the Awami League in 1995, being appointed as the General Secretary of the Keraniganj Upazilla Awami League. He competed in the General Election 0f 2001. He was elected as the Member of Parliament from Dhaka-3 in 2008, and served as a Member of Parliament from 2008 to 2013. During this time, he was involved in the Standing Committee of Foreign Affairs, Committee for Housing and Public Works, among others.